August 5, 2013

Never underestimate the power of a twirly skirt

I used to laugh when I heard someone say "Modest is hottest!"  It seems so hokey in this modern age of cleavage, ridiculously short shorts, and bare midriffs.  When I was in high school and middle school, I so desperately wanted to fit in that I tried to wear what everyone was wearing...only to have my mom pitch any shirt that didn't cover my midriff.

I was mad at her then, but I think I appreciate it now.  Nowadays, I'm more comfortable in a twirly, knee-length skirt and a t-shirt with a cami underneath than in shorts and a tank top.  I hardly ever wear shorts, or short skirts.  It just isn't me.

In college, I bemoaned the fact that I couldn't find skirts that I liked, or dresses that matched the images in my head.  I wanted skirts that twirled, not skirts I had to tug at every time I sat down or stood up.  I wanted skirts that gave me room to move in, that let me sit cross-legged on the ground without worrying about the people sitting across from me.  I wanted a dress that flattered my figure not because it was tight-fitting, but because it was made for someone with my size.  But none of these things were sold in stores, at least not on my budget.  And besides, they just weren't "in."

But my friends who sewed costumes for Quidditch Club and Medieval Society began to show me that sewing wasn't just for cloaks and Tudor-era corsets.  I could sew my own skirts that were longer and twirly.  I could make my own dresses that matched the dresses in my mind.  I didn't have to compromise my own style simply because the fashion world deemed it "not in."

Now, when I hear the words "modest is hottest," I smile to myself.  There is something wonderful about a well-fitted dress that covers everything, but shows off a woman's figure.  It can be "hot" to wear a dress with a knee-length skirt and a high neckline.  Because being "hot" is less about how you look, and more about how you feel.  If you are comfortable and confident in what you wear, then everyone around you can see it.

The way you dress is important.  Some people may scoff at this, but I truly believe it.  When you wake up in the morning, put on your favorite outfit, and step out into the world, you're more likely to step out with a smile on your face.  You're more likely to stand tall and face the world confidently.  Being comfortable and confident in what you wear will lead you to be comfortable and confident in what you do.


No comments:

Post a Comment